Financial Support

Full Time Students

If you’re going to be joining us as a full-time student and you’re aged 16-18, there’s a whole host of support available to you. The range of financial support will depend on your circumstances and where you’re studying.

What You Need To Know

If you’re living in Wales, you could be eligible for Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA). If you’re 19 or over you might be eligible for a Welsh Government Learning Grant. You might also be eligible for the Financial Contingency Fund (FCF).

Apply to any of the below by picking up an application pack from Student Services or by downloading an application form from the Student Finance Wales website.

If you have been awarded EMA or WGLG and have received your award letter, call into Student Services to sign your Learning Agreement.  Call in as soon as possible, so you don’t miss out.

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

To read more about this visit

The Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) Wales is for you if you’re a full-time student aged 16 to 18 years who lives in Wales. If you’re eligible, you’ll get an allowance of £40 a week. Before you apply for EMA there are few things you will need to check to make sure you qualify, such as:
date of birth – you must be 16-18 years old on the first day of your course
course – you must be studying at a participating school or college on an ‘eligible’ course
household income – this must be below a certain level to receive EMA
nationality and residency – If you’re a UK citizen living in Wales you should be eligible for EMA. 
Welsh Government Learning Grant

To read more about this visit

The Welsh Government Learning Grant is for you if you’re a student aged 19 and over on a full-time or part-time course over 275 hours per year and you live in Wales. It’s an income-assessed grant of up to £1,500 that aims to encourage you to continue with their education, where otherwise this may not be possible.
Financial Contingency Fund (FCF) Financial Contingency Fund (FCF) is a college support fund that can help with DBS costs, essential course equipment and trips. 

This fund could also help you with the cost of Nursery fee, if you have a dependent.

The Scheme is to be used to provide financial help to those eligible learners whose access to education might be inhibited by financial considerations, including:

  • Students who need help with childcare costs
  • Students who are carers; have been in care, on probation or are otherwise considered at risk
  • Students on low income.

To qualify, your household income must be less than £20,817 and you must be over 16 on the first day of your course. We welcome applications and assess on an individual basis.

If You Live Outside Wales You Can Find Funding Information Here (For HE Students):

Higher Education Students

As a Higher Education student, you can get access to a variety of financial support. The Student Loans Company offers loans and grants for anyone studying higher education courses at Coleg Cambria. Eligibility depends on the course type and where you live.

In summary:

  • Foundation degrees and degrees have fees which can be funded by Tuition Fee loans
  • Higher apprenticeships are usually funded by the Welsh Government
  • Professional courses may be funded by your employer, by you or by European projects
What You Need To Know – HE Bursaries

Coleg Cambria can offer a £1000 bursary payment to you if you’re progressing from Coleg Cambria (i.e. level 3 and Access to HE) to one of the following courses:

  • FdA Childhood Studies
  • FdA Education (Learner Support)
  • FdA Education (Special Educational Needs)

The bursary is paid in two £500 instalments:

  • year 1, at the end of Semester 2
  • year 2, at the end of Semester 2

In order for the bursary to be given to you, the following conditions must be stuck to:

  • confirmation has been received from the University that the course fees have been paid to date
  • you have an attendance percentage of over 90%
  • all of your work is up to date (confirmed by the Programme Leader)
For Further Information
More information on this additional financial support can be found by clicking on the following:

Part Time HE Students

Part-time students studying in Wales can apply for a range of financial support including:

  • Adult dependants grant (ADG)
  • Childcare grant (CCG)
  • Parents’ learning allowance (PLA)
  • Disabled students’ allowance (DSA)
Part-Time Courses Fees shown next to part-time courses cover up to the first year of your study only. For two or three year courses, the same fee will be payable again at the start of your second and third year of study. You will need to bring proof at enrolment if your company is paying your course fee.
Direct Debits We offer payment via direct debit if your course cost is over £200. You will be eligible to pay half upfront and then spread out the remaining cost over 3 months.

Are you aged under 16?

Due to the way our courses are supported by government funding, we may have to charge an additional fee on courses to students under 16 years old on 1st Sept 2020. For safeguarding purposes, a parent or guardian will need to accompany under 16’s to classes and will need to pay the standard course fee.

Some Adult and Community Learning courses may be eligible for concessions.

Discover Student Finance

How To Apply

Comments or Suggestions

    Connect with us

    Get The Student App

    Use the QR code to download the Student App

    Student App

    © Coleg Cambria 2024.

    Pro Monitor

    Please select an option to access:

    I am outside of the College network

    I am inside the College network